Evil Dead Remake Trailer – Official, Redband & HD

Posted on October 24, 2012 by Ben 9 Comments

By Ben Bussey

Odds are you may have seen this last week in the 24 hours or so that a phone-shot bootleg did the rounds online (though not here), before the inevitable cease-and-desist. Well, now it’s back, and it’s the same thing, only cleaner, glossier, prettier and more expensive-looking. Wait – am I talking about the trailer or the movie…?

Feelings run so high on this one, it seems an exercise in futility to attempt an impartial commentary right now. Watch. Make your own assessment. Feel free to comment below.

9 comments

• Keri says:

Okay, I’ll go.

Judging by what we see here, it’s cynical bullshit. The filmmakers are too chickenshit (or too curtailed) to do anything really different, except make the key scenes from the original flashier. Add a punchy industrial soundtrack to show you mean business, swap the male lead for a female to show you’re Progressive, and bam! Another remake. Yawn.

What made Evil Dead great was its grottiness, and how that created a unique black comedy. Excise that, excise the old black comedy, and – why bother? I’m not anti-every remake, but if you have that sort of money to throw at a project – pick a brand new project, you cowards. Just like Evil Dead was once.

Thank fuck no ‘stick a ribbon on it’ remake detracts from the originals. I won’t be watching this, it doesn’t look interesting and besides,I’d rather support other stuff.

• Julian says:

I’m not a fan of the original and this looks absolutely fantastic to me. There, I said it.

• Keri says:

I’m curious, Julian: seeing as this is simply a flashier take on the original and you don’t like that, what has sold you on this one?

• Julian says:

The way the original was shot just didn’t work for me on either the serious horror, or the black comedy level. I guess I like the idea of it though (being trapped in the middle of nowhere with demons who’re able to possess anything, making the threat ever-present and you kill your friends). This time it seems like it’s done in a straight, atmospheric and really gory way, which is admittedly pretty exciting to me (on to the hype machine!). Could be just a well edited trailer too (wouldn’t be the first time).

• UK Editor says:

Julian – I think you’ve hit on a key point there when you say it “could be just a well edited trailer.” Let’s face it, trailers are not always the most trustworthy source of information. To use another Raimi-related example, the trailer for Drag Me To Hell presented it as a gruelling shocker rather than the splatstick comedy it really was; and, on the flipside, the trailer for this year’s The Pact made it look utterly prosaic and not scary at all, which I’m assured isn’t the case (unfortunately I still haven’t seen The Pact yet). So, based on what we’ve seen thus far it’s impossible to say whether or not Evil Dead 2013 will be played entirely straight – though it’s interesting that, while that’s a plus for Julian, it’s a negative for Keri (& by extension Annie). For the record, I too feel playing it too straight would be a mistake.

• Keri says:

I’ve seen commentary on Twitter saying that the comedy in The Evil Dead (as opposed to ED2 and, ahem, 3) was completely unintentional, and therefore those of us bemoaning the fact that the humour seems to be missing from the remake aren’t in touch with what the original was even meant to be. What do we think of this?

• UK Editor says:

I’ll tell you what I think of that…. it sounds rather like Sandra Bullock’s surname.

This does seem to be where Evil Dead fans get divided: those who really do consider the original to be ‘the ultimate experience in gruelling terror’ and those who see it as (to pinch the words of Mark Kermode) ‘The Three Stooges with latex and ketchup standing in for custard pies.’ To my mind there’s absolutely no question that the correct perspective is the latter, and as I said in my Evil Dead 2 retrospective (I just can’t help pimping my wares) I think they took an explictly comedic approach with the sequels to underline that they hadn’t been serious the first time.

That said, I can understand why people don’t regard the first Evil Dead to be a comedy. Honestly, the first time I saw it I was truly unnerved by it. It is really quite grotesque and savage. But the closer you watch, the more you note the excesses, the harder it is not to notice how utterly absurd it all is – and I say that as a compliment. In a way I was reminded of it recently watching Killer Joe – that too is outwardly played straight, but scratch the surface and it’s clearly a jet-black comedy.

So yes, I do understand why people don’t think The Evil Dead is meant to be funny… they’re just WRONG.

• Keri says:

I think my experience of ED was similar to yours, Ben. It was touted in the playground as the most terrifying thing ever, and I expected nothing but that when I finally saw the film – but once I’d got over the shock of the gore effects and relentlessness of it, I could appreciate the wry humour. I haven’t read/heard Raimi’s take on this, but I feel sure that was deliberate. Will the remake have that humour in the mix? It doesn’t look like it – but then, as you discussed above, it could be a misleading trailer. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time.